Skip to content

Leaves of three, let them be

July 26, 2010
tags:

During the end of our hike yesterday I discovered a rash around my ankles. Even though there were signs up warning of poison ivy I became complacent since we hadn’t really seen any during the majority of the 12 km hike. After I noticed the rash and actually started looking for the three-leaved plant of doom and I noticed it was suddenly everywhere.  As it turns out I’m not one of the estimated 15-30% of the population that isn’t allergic to poison ivy but lucky for me I seem to have developed an atypical reaction. It’s not itchy at all! I thought I would wait until the morning to reserve judgement. Maybe it was a weird delayed reaction but so far so good. Knock wood.

 Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) is a poisonous plant that is well known for its production of urushiol, a resin of the plant that causes an itching rash in most people who touch it.

UPDATE (02/08/10): I went hiking this past weekend in an area without poison ivy and I still got the same rash. This time though you could see the lines that follow the sock. I suppose this means that I have a sensitivity to wool.  I bought some new hiking socks without wool and I’m hoping that they eliminate this problem!

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: